Saturday 15 April 2017

Alli; I'm definitely a midfielder


Tottenham's Dele Alli says he is not comfortable being deployed as a striker, insisting "I'm definitely a midfielder."
Alli has scored 16 goals in the Premier League this season, but despite his high scoring rate, he says he would prefer to play behind forward Harry Kane.
"I'm definitely a midfielder," Alli told Sky Sports. "When I start playing up top where H [Kane] plays I don't feel comfortable.
"I grew up watching Steven Gerrard a lot and he was a No. 8 so I'd like to play there, but when competition is like it is. You play anywhere the manager wants you to. And I can't complain, I really am happy where I'm playing.
"The formation we were playing with three at the back gave me a bit more freedom and the chance to get more goals. Sometimes I have to make runs to get in behind H and give him a bit more room to get shots off and stuff like that. But, as I say, I'm definitely a midfielder."
At just 21, Alli has scored 26 league goals for Tottenham while assisting on another 14 for a combined total that puts him Gerrard at this stage of his career.
But asked how he stacks up to the likes of Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Paul Scholes, Alli said he still has a long way to go.
"It's an honour to be put next to those names but I've still got so much to achieve before I can even start thinking I'm as good as them," he said.
"They all did so much for their clubs and their country. I think they're unbelievable players. For me they're legends and people I look up to massively, so I don't get carried away with those stats."

No comments:

Post a Comment